Suzy Snapper
Monday, July 31, 2006
Reinvention

It was time for a reinvention of sorts. I was hating my hair, especially after a recent comment from my nephew-in-law that it was a bit mullet-like. Given the fact that he said that after I'd just exited a rapidly flowing river after falling out of my inner tube a few times, I suspect it isn't always the case. However, I still needed a little pick me up.

So Saturday, 3 hours in the chair, and this is the result. It gave me a good chance to use my new tripod and remote control on the camera as well. The fun part is staring into the camera trying to put on a non-fake smile.

Saturday night was an interesting adventure. My parents, my brother and his wife, her sister and husband went to the Professional Bull Riding competition. This is a new thing to the area and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. There is so much more to this type of sport than just holding on for 8 seconds.

We ended up sitting beside two of the rider's wives, which made it a little more interesting. I chatted with them and even held their baby as they videotaped their husband's ride. It makes it more real, when you realize that this is their income and not just for entertainment.

Unfortunately, it was not a smooth performance and one rider was injured seriously when a bull stomped on him after throwing him in an awkward position. He was removed on a spinal board, with a suspected broken back. I said to the girl beside me, 'Do you know him?' and she looked at me with tears in her eyes, 'Yes, we grew up together'. I haven't been able to find anything online about how he is but I'm hoping that it looked worse than it was.

Sunday was a bit of a stormy day. I woke up to a thunderstorm so close that it was rattling the windows. Unfortunately, in my haze, I was dreaming that I was in a bomb shelter in Israel and the bombs were exploding at my feet. That's what happens when I watch a little too much CNN before bed. Once I realized it was a storm, I got up and tried to take pictures but unfortunately, the lightening was just not cooperating.

And with that, it's time to get some work done here. Have a great week, everyone!

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.