Suzy Snapper
Friday, December 22, 2006
Friends
During this holiday season, I keep coming back to the thought of how much I appreciate the family and friends I have around me.

I've been wanting to do a post to highlight some of my good friends in the blogworld, but I was initimidated by the fact that I might just unintentially miss someone. If I do, please don't take it personally. It is merely an oversight by an overly exhausted soul.

Over the past two years, I have been blessed by the acquaintance and friendships of people the world over and I am incredibly thankful for that. You've been there through my triumphs as well as some more, shall we say, character building moments. Even if I don't blog as often as I used to, a day does not go by that I don't think of my friends.

On that note, I'd like to highlight and introduce a few people who are special to me. Stop by their place and have a look around, if you haven't heard of them before.

My newest friend, Patti. She is a photographer extraordinaire in Ontario. I met her through a scrapbooking club called Scraptivity! It's a very warm friendly place where I've gained many an inspiration. I was Patti's Secret Santa this season, and I think I enjoyed it as much as she did.

Devon has become one of my most cherished friends and I hope we can arrange to meet when I travel to New York in the spring. She is an accomplished writer, and her unfaltering support has meant much to me. Even though she has had her difficulties of late with Situations, she has not lost her strong spirit and I admire that.

I met Teresa in February in Vegas and she was every bit as warm-hearted in person as she is on her blog. Her ex-husband is on his way to Iraq shortly and I wish him a safe and speedy return.

Monica is an amazingly strong person and though this year has been exceedingly difficult for her in her personal life, her gift for telling stories and her ability to be a strong voice through adversity makes me proud to call her a friend. Because of her, young veterans are beginning to get the help they need as they return stateside after their tour of duty.

Then there's Shannon. Keep her and her family in your hearts and prayers as she faces this Christmas with her husband on active duty in Iraq. Her writing is inspirational, often humourous and always worth taking the time for. Recently, she wrote about a stirring picture that touched me too. She has been there for me time and time again, and she does so with grace, dignity and pride.

Jennifer is a friend of Teresa's. I began reading her blog a bit ago and found her to be very interesting. She and I share some hobbies, including scrapbooking and photography. The mom to 3 beautiful boys, she always has a warm thought or a quick wit to share. Recently, a friend of hers lost her young child and she has been using her blog as a tribute in a very caring way.

Karen, my Utah-ian buddy. Another avid photographer, but she can write beautiful poetry too! To be able to marry those two together is a true gift. This year has been also difficult for Karen, as her Dad has gone through a very serious health problem. As I nursed my own Dad back (and continue to do so), I have felt Karen's kindred support as we both shared a challenging time in our lives.

Red - ok, so he's Red in the blogosphere but I know him by his real name. Actually, we've been friends for what? 11 years? How crazy is that? One day I will write about how we met and the group we are part of that made both of our lives richer. He was also part of a group of friends who attended a wedding in '99 in Washington, DC that was likely the best vacation I have ever had. He has been there for me through the years, picking me up at Heathrow when I visited London and generally being everything a good friend is. Thank you, James, for everything.

On that note, Ian...same group as above. Again, that deserves a post of it's own. Ian was with us in Vegas this year, and I just wish it could have been for longer. We have shared several holidays now...New York (although that wasn't so much a holiday for him as it was Tour Guide 101), Edmonton and Vegas.

Dave, the Marinade King. He's gone through his health troubles this year too (glad to hear things are improving Dave!) but his stories are some of the most interesting out there. Be it a story about himself and his hatred of needles, or about past colleagues, or of his brother's army service, he's always got something intriguing to talk about. If that wasn't enough, more than once, he's been there for me to give me a little pick-me-up or teasing as needed. A good man, Dave is.

Bob - what list wouldn't be complete without Trucker Bob. He hasn't been able to blog as much as he used to and I miss his stories of the days on the road as a commercial trucker. Often, I'd find myself telling his stories around the dinner table much to the amusement of my family. This year, he's seen his own health issues as well as those close to him. I wish him and his family well. He deserves it.

For a little Canadian content, check out WestCoast Chaos. He's from my province, and most times, I find myself talking to the screen 'Yeah, what he said!' Beyond that though, super great guy and I do owe him a beer next time he's in town!

Speaking of Canadian content, two of the best female writers in the Canadian blogosphere - Canadianna and The Last Amazon. I met them, and WCC when I wrote for the Red Ensign Bloggers. Not only well-written, well-researched and well-educated, but geniunely wonderful women too.

If you get a chance, check out ArmyWifeToddlerMom's adventures with her little ones.

CaliValleyGirl's back in the States after living in Germany and through the deployment of her boyfriend to Afghanistan. Always thought provoking, always worth the time.

It's funny to think that a chance meeting in Hawaii over two years ago could have just been a disasterous romance gone wrong. Instead, it became the seed that allowed me to open myself up to blogging, to writing in general and to meeting some wonderful people. Not to mention, even if I am no longer a military girlfriend, I still feel the support and warmth of a military family. That is no small compliment...I am proud to feel part of such a wonderful group and to show my support for the troops every chance I can.

I will do another post shortly of some of my daily blog reads. I think most of you probably already know of them, but there may be one or two that might interest you too.

But now it's time to have a rest. The next few days will be busy but there will be many pictures to show for it!

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.