Suzy Snapper
Thursday, January 04, 2007
Update
I'm taking a little longer to bounce back than I thought I would.

The surgery was a success. Relatively simple and a great experience at the hospital. The nurses were fantastic and everyone treated me very well. They have sent the results to pathology and I'll have things confirmed in about a weeks' time that there's nothing further to worry about.

I left and had a few hours when I thought this was going to be a piece of cake. Apparently however, reality set in during the night when the freezing wore off. Since then, it has been somewhat challenging.

So I've been sleeping a lot and have decided to take the rest of the week off to recouperate. I had hoped to go in tomorrow but things just aren't working quite in the way they need to be.

Tylenol #3 is my friend. In a big way right now.

In the midst of this, we have a little crisis brewing with my Dad. He has been declining in the last 10 days healthwise, and it's not like he was ever truly well after the surgery either. He's become a vacant shell. He is confused and befuddled and not at all the person we know.

It became even more apparent in the last couple days. When he drove me to the hospital the other morning, it was terrible. I thought I'd have to tell him to pull over and let me drive. He was completely unaware of where he was.

My Mom and I talked about the possibility of a stroke. We had been warned that this was a possible complication to a heart bypass. In any case, we knew he needed medical care.

Today, my Mom convinced him to go to the doctor. He may be vacant and confused, but he is also angry and not easy to deal with. But he agreed that something wasn't right.

It looks like he has a severe chest infection. They did x-rays and lab tests and everything pointed to a fairly severe infection. It would explain most of his symptoms and thankfully is not a stroke. It is serious though, and he needs to go back tomorrow to have the labs redone. If they're not significantly improved, he will likely need a couple days back into the hospital.

So no rest from the drama here, unfortunately. But at the same time, if there is one thing learned, it's to take one thing and one moment at a time.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.