Suzy Snapper
Monday, January 09, 2006
Serenity Prayer
You just know it's going to be a good week when the mere look of the insidious smile of Ronald McDonald on your orange juice cup annoys you.

These are the days that I recite the serenity prayer. I have not slept more than 2 hours since Friday. Mostly because my knee has decided sleeping is for wusses. 6 to 8 codeine pills a day, just to keep me from babbling incoherently and rocking in a corner. The surgery will now be February 9, rather than the initial date of February 7. So I will be travelling only 8 days post-op. The surgeon has ok'd the travel, considering I will still have another week of rest before returning to work. I will be attempting to start physical therapy today, if can to try and calm some of this discomfort!

My internet connection is down at home. Apparently after 3 full years of well-used service, my wireless router has passed away. And so far, the 4 stores I hobbled to are out of stock after some very frenzied boxing week specials. I've put an order in on-line but it will take a while. I feel like my arm has been chewed off, not having access at home right now. I have a desktop computer but it was never set up for being online and I'm still debating whether I should set it up that way, or wait until my wireless arrives.

Now, family stuff. My cousin(in-law) is home now on a ventilator. The government has approved 4 hours a day with a homecare nurse. While this is good, considering how hard it is get any help, it is still very difficult for them. His wife - my true cousin - has cancer and is dealing with the effects of chemotherapy. Her mom - my mom's sister - is 82 and fell last week and fractured her hip but she is still going over there up to 6 times a day to take care of them. It'll be tough for a while.

Meanwhile, my Mom's best friend fell last Thursday and shattered her hip. When they got her into emergency, she was found to have a tumour in her lung the size of a grapefruit. There was nothing that could be done, so she has been moved to palliative care and is being sedated.

I just remind myself that these are the days that build character. Just need to try not to be a cartoon character!

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.