Suzy Snapper
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
The Next Day
Yesterday was such an emotional rollercoaster. I had intended to give time to read as much of the 2996 Project as possible. When I realized I was still not making a dent, I calculated the numbers. Assuming one spends 1 minute on each page, that would be just over 49 HOURS of reading.

Some tributes are absolutely phenomenal and bring that particular person back in everlasting glory. Some are much smaller, heartfelt nods. Each and every one though pulls at heartstrings though. I read as much as I could, left comments where ever I went and felt very proud to be part of such an amazing project.

In the end, though, I did bring in fresh baked triple chocolate chip (white, caramel and milk) cookies to work.

I decided not to make a big deal about why, but simply to leave them on my desk with a little sign saying 'Help Yourself!'.

It went over like a .99 cent sale on payday!

I talked to a lot of people and many that I barely say hello to told me some great stories. One older gentlemen told me my cookies reminded him of his childhood.

'Grandma's Rocks', he smiled, "I haven't tasted cookies like this in 50 years. We used to call them Grandma's Rocks when we were kids'. As he left my office, he winked and said 'I'll make sure I give you a little more lead time on that next order'.

Another man came in sheepishly asking if he could have one. 'Of course', I said. He smiled and said 'Oh, I thought you'd made them just for your friends or something.' I told him I did, and that's why he should have one.

I've done things like this before, but yesterday seemed to be particularly poignant. It was a sad day but just by doing a simple act like bringing cookies, the day seemed to be so much better. I had some laughs and the day went by so quickly too.

So I think I may have to start doing that as a tradition every September 11. Why not make a terrible evil event into something that brings people together?

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.