Suzy Snapper
Monday, October 09, 2006
Not a Good Turkey Day
So our turkey day didn't go so well. My Dad is in the hospital. =
He had been having indigestion and chest pain all day but of course, being a stubborn old man didn't mention it to anyone. At dinner tonight at my brother's, he got up from the table saying he wasn't feeling well.

My brother went to talk to him and was worried (cop brothers don't get worried to easily so that was not a good feeling). He asked my Dad if he could take him to the hospital. My Dad told everyone to stop worrying so much.

Soon after, they left to drive home. It's a 45 minute drive. I said I'd follow, but my Dad - again being stubborn - said no. I did anyway. Thank God.

About 15 minutes into the drive, I got a frantic call from my Mom saying they were on the side of the road and my Dad was only semi-conscious and throwing up. I said I'd be there in about 2-3 minutes and called 911.

The ambulance arrived, along with the firemen. They were fantastic, and arrived very quickly. Although frankly, I never want to be on the side of a farm road again being the center of attention like that again. They took my Dad and Mom to the hospital.

At this point, it does look like my Dad has had some sort of cardiac incident but being the long weekend and short on diagnostic staff, we will not know more right away. He responded very quickly to the nitro and oxygen. He even had a bit of humour after a little bit. (Mostly to tease me about my stomach deciding to leave me rather abruptly in the aftermath).

They sent my Mom and I home. There's not a lot more that can be done right now and he's stable for now. My Mom didn't want the company so I'm at my house now. I am very scared though. I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight.

Any spare vibes right about now would be greatly appreciated.

Update: He has now been moved to a Cardiac Critical Care Unit at another hospital. The initial results are indicating heart damage but we will know more over the next little while. My Mom is not taking it well, and is having some breathing problems related to the stress. 55 years together...it's a little hard on both of them.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.