Suzy Snapper
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
February?
How did we get through the entire first month of 2006 in what feels like a blink of an eye? Wasn't Christmas just last week? Didn't we just ring in the New Year yesterday?

It was a wet January here. 29 out of the 31 days, it rained. It has been pouring for so long that I have been caught in minor road flooding several times on my way to work in the past few weeks. I work in a very rural area mostly known for it's cranberry farms. Large tracts of boggy land surrounded by a road next to the river. And this area is almost forgotten in time. It's been many years since the municipality has upgraded any infrastructure up this way, so when it rains, drainage is somewhat of a challenge.

In 8 days, I will go in for my knee surgery. Starting to panic a little more than I'd like. I look at my knee often and imagine that it will have the telltale surgical scars that will stay with me for life very soon. I begin to worry about how I'm going to manage in the days following the surgery as well. My mother has offered to stay, but as much as her offer is sweet, I don't know if I would feel ok with that. I know she is not well, and it would take a lot out of her to do so. As well, if someone's in my house, I feel the need to entertain or at least stay awake. I suspect that will not be the case for the first couple days. I will just want to be in my cave by myself.

On Sunday, I had one of those little moments of panic that I wouldn't be able to get groceries right away after. So I started throwing things into the basket like a mad woman. By the time I got to the counter, I had spent $320 on food. Trust me, if the tsunami happens now, I will be fine for months. Well, actually...no, my house would be the first to go, but those about 5 miles down the river can expect some great food to be popping up in the river.

Things with S. are going well. We are both, however, terrified of just about everything. Of hurting our friendship, mostly though. Taking it slow...that's the key. Part of the fact is that we feel just so comfortable with each other, and that's scary. But knowing we are both feeling that same way and talking through it is the key. It's not a race, but a slow and steady pace.

In 17 days, I will be flying to Vegas for 4 days. There will be a great group of us...some I haven't seen in 6 years and one very special person that I am going to meet in person for the first time. I am honoured to call Teresa a friend, and cannot wait!

And with that February begins. May it be a good one for all of you!

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.