Suzy Snapper
Monday, June 05, 2006
Catching up
You wouldn't believe it, but I am.

Over the weekend, between all else that is going on, I started trying to catch up on my blog reads. There were 11,000 unread posts according to my nifty little Bloglines reader. Cutting that in half right away, and then half again, I'm down to the nitty gritty. Had intended not to post again until I was at very least caught up with my friends.

But, having said that, it has been a couple weeks again since I posted.

The new job. I am lukewarm with it. It has a lot of long term potential and some real quick wins in terms of organization. My specialty, besides buying, is streamlining processes. There are many very obvious areas of improvement here, but I am biding my time. I am new and I know from experience, I don't like being told how to do my job by a new person so it will go on a back burner. For the next couple months, I have resolved to learn their systems and processes before suggesting anything. As I told my boss, you've been in this business a lot longer than I have.

Unfortunately, the people are a bit more of a quandry. Hot and cold. While I know breaking into cliques is difficult, and I have been guilty myself of being exclusionary from time to time, it does make it a bit challenging. There have been three people in this position in the last year. People are bound to be a bit closed off, until they know I'm staying. It's natural.

But, what isn't natural, and what I'm biting my tongue on, is downright rudeness. There is one particular lady who feels the need to be quite stroppy with me on a regular basis. I get a strong feeling that she's sort of testing me and I am determined not to let it get to me. She has worked here her entire career - 30+ years and is somewhat of the Queen of the roost. So I keep my mouth shut, smile and be kind. Time will improve things, I am quite sure.

I have a few other topics worthy of posts of their own, and now that I can post from work on my lunch I may actually get around to it.

Some of the other challenges and joys going on right now...the planning of my 20th high school reunion. My Aunt's stroke and worsening dementia. Being able to put some proper closure on The Dude situation. Oh, and Navy Boy? Yes, he is back stateside and in touch. Not to mention, my knee. Much better, but still a little touchy.

In any case, I hope you are all well. Take care, and don't be surprised if I pop up on your comments very soon!

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.