Suzy Snapper
Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Shades of Grey
I have been debating about this post for a few days now. I am a strong believer in jinxes. There is no earthly reason why I should not be able to shout certain things from the rooftops without them coming down. But they do.

So hesitantly, I proceed.

For the last year and a half, I've been developing a friendship with a salesman at one of my vendors. With this company and the one I worked for previously. He is a very sweet person, and one that I find much to talk about with.

Even during the whole Dude situation earlier in the year, he was supportive. Always a great shoulder when things were confusing and troubling.

I don't know when I started to see him differently. It was some months ago though. However, I'd only ever talked to him on the phone and through email.

Last August, I did a site visit to his company for work. It was no ordinary site visit. There were arms brushing, awkward glances and I noticed the girls at the front desk were watching how we interacted. I liked that. After the site tour, he and I went for lunch. It was liked getting together with a long lost friend, filled with nothing at all business like. We talked of his childhood, his family, his previous relationships. Before we knew it, it was 2 hours later. We both needed to return to work. I blamed heavy traffic on my late return to the office. I'm not sure what he used.

We kept talking over email for the next couple of weeks, but nothing serious. Sure, I was interested but I have no idea how to make a move or put myself out there. He's been through a lot too and is a bit on the shy side.

Then my Dad had his heart attack. I pulled away from pretty much everything. Turtled, big time.

A week and a bit ago, I got an email. 'Where'd you go? Get a boyfriend and forget me?', he asked.

What has happened since has surprised even me. I guess the colour slowly goes out of your world when you don't have something to look forward to. It's gradual and muted, so you don't notice.

The colours of my world are suddenly grippingly vibrant. I'm laughing more and smiling more than I thought I could.

The emails, several a day, make me grin from ear to ear. But I'm hesitant to share it with anyone, lest I jinx things.

He has asked me to go out with him for dinner and a movie. The catch, though, is when. We're working on that.

Today, life feels very good.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.