Suzy Snapper
Friday, October 20, 2006
Just for fun...
On the drive home yesterday from the hospital, we decided to stop off at our friendly neighbourhood Costco to pick up some pictures.

As I was turning into the disabled parking spot (my Mom has the pass as she can't walk far), we were hit HARD from the side. Some lady decided it was more important to talk to her friends than look in her rear view mirror before reversing. As far as accidents go, it's minor. My passenger door is pushed in and scrapes are all down my back quarterpanel.

I was turning so for some reason, my forearm is very sore. I think I may have sprained it. Stupid, really, considering the low speed of the collision but almost immediately I had a strong sharp pain up my arm. Damn!

My Mom somehow bruised her knee. We can't figure out for the life of us how, but it is definitely bruised.

The lady? 'Oh, I'm so sorry...my mind was elsewhere and I was talking to my friend who's here out of town'. Whatever, lady. I told her we were just on the way home from the hospital and that this was exactly the stress we did not need. I was very shaken though.

As my Mom later said, 'If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck'. I got a case of the giggles for some strange reason.

Updates for my Dad though are mixed. The good news is really good. The delirium has subsided, and he also knows he was all mixed up. His heart rate has regulated and his blood pressure has stablized. All very great improvements that we are pleased with.

Unfortuantely, a few more dips though. Through this whole situation, his Type 2 Diabetes is causing issues. Right now, his insulin is all over the map and not at all regulated - even though he is on several medications to try and control it. Today, we began sessions on how to test blood and administer insulin.

As well, the wound in his chest is showing signs of infection. It's minor right now so a dose of IV antibiotics was ordered to be on the safe side. Let's just hope they caught it quickly.

He's very grumpy today. I see that as a good sign. Grumpy is fighting...his spirit is coming back.

Tomorrow, my brother will take my Mom. This will be the first day in 13 that I haven't driven her. I am needing a break badly, but part of me feels out of sorts because I want to be there too. However, given the fact that I have begun bursting into tears at the slightest thing, I think I need a forced day off. So tomorrow, Mom will go to the hospital and I will join the my niece and the kids at the Pumpkin Patch.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.