Suzy Snapper
Monday, May 28, 2007
Decisions made
What a rollercoaster couple of weeks, but I'm pleased to say it's finally starting to calm down.

First off, the move. It has been put on the back, back burner for now. There were many reasons for the decision. One being the location - I couldn't get what I was looking for and still remain a reasonable distance from my parents or my commute. In the end, looking at the big picture, I realized it was more important during these winter years with my parents to make the most of the time. I am only a 5 minute drive now from their house, but had I moved it would have increased to 25 minutes. That's a long time when things don't go as planned.

It also felt like every step of the decision of househunting was met with difficulty. Whether it was finding a realtor hungry enough to actually help and not hinder, or the timing, it just didn't seem right. I was told I was a C-Class Client by one just because I refused to sell my house first before looking for a new location. 'You can rent' he says, 'You're single'. That one comment lost him my business.

In the time I was looking, I got my house nearly ready for sale. Lots of clutter gone. Lots of cleaning and tidying. Standing back, I thought to myself, I have a beautiful home. Why would I want to leave it?

To add a few more wrinkles to the mix, my Dad received unfortunate news from the doctor. He has a compressed disc and the subsequent nerve damage does not look repairable. He can't take the medicines that could help because of the heart medications so he must learn to adjust. The left leg is very weak, and he often must use a cane to steady himself. It's not going to get better, and likely he'll find it more difficult in the future. He has really had a tough go of it since last October.

My brother is booked for his double knee replacement on June 18. He's only 49 but his knees are completely gone, from repeated injuries on the job over the years. They chose to do a double, but it's not an easy operation so the summer will be a little challenging for him.

As for me, I got my news back. The good news is that it's not spread. Happy Dance of Joy! The bad news is they must do another procedure at the end of July to get the rest. However, it's a quick thing and knowing what to expect, it's not that big of a deal.

Meanwhile, I know I've been missing updating here for a while now and hopefully that will change. For now, I've been heavily involved with Facebook. What a rush to connect with old friends you likely would never have again. I have been using it as a tool for the reunion committee but also for others. I was thrilled to find my old friends from 12-15 years ago, lost in the melee of my breakup with my ex. Not to mention, old coworkers from my past job where we lost contact after being laid off in a large group and not having chance to properly leave forwarding details. All in all, a wonderful experience.

The reunion itself is going well, albeit a bit slowly. I am a planner but others may not be to the same degree. At the end of the day, it will be a great event and these challenges we're facing now will be temporary.

And lastly, my job. Can I just say I LOVE my new job? I am so motivated, so challenged, so energerized it's a bit scary. I was given a new project to head today, only 7 weeks into the job. They seem to be very happy with my performance, and for the first time in two years, I leave work with the feeling I can't wait to get back there.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer trapped in a corporate buyer's body. Steel shopping by day, and freeflowing prose by night. One day I hope to have the nights become my days, but am intimidated by the sheer amount of people who share my dream. So I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.